Monday 19 November 2007

The country of new tecnology

Since I've been ill the last two weeks and I didn't take any pictures around, I wanna talk about a problem that looks big to me here in Kansai Gaidai. I don't know if is related to japanese culture or just to this university, but since I didn't go to any other university in Japan I think it can be a common problem in Japan.




Basically this is just the half of the amount of paper that I collected in a month in the Gaidai. The other half I trown it away before thinking about doing this post. The thing that annoying me the most is that the 70% of the informations in the sheets is EXACTLY the same of the one we have in books! The teachers prints new sheet of paper every day with no reason. So, if you think there are about 500 international students and they collect about 3-4 sheets of paper every day just for the japanese classes, can you imagine how much waste of paper? Plus there are all the afternoon classes and all the waste in the computer lab. I've been told from a Japanese student that works in the CIE lab that students print 3000 sheet of paper every day! EVERY DAY!


This appens only for international students in Kansai Gaidai for what I know. But what if is he same in every school in Japan? So, what I'm asking is, do they do this here because is an amercanizated university or is the japanese system? Japanese people don't care about nature and trees? Are they just lazy?

When I left Italy I thought I was coming to the country of new tecnology, I thought that maybe they even didn't have books here, maybe they will use only computer I was thinking! Well, look at the pictures and multyply that amount of paper per 2 and than per 4 months and than for 500 students, how much paper do we waste here in a semester?


1 comment:

visual gonthros said...

You make a good - and troubling - observation. We do waste a lot of paper here. I personally have cut down on handouts and use power point (Keynote, for Mac, actually) presentations (hoping that students will copy the presentation's valuable info). I hope the paper gets recycled. It would be nice if students from other universities could read this and comment upon the paper usage at their schools.