Saturday 10 November 2007

Blog essay 2

In the post Spiderman lives in Japan in the Willy's visual blog I founded interesting at the beginning the text about Kansai salesmans. It says in fact: "I was amazed at how I was assaulted by people wanting me to buy their product", and also Willy expained that Kansai salesmans are known to be the best or at least the most persistent. I experienced the same thing at the Kansaigaidai festival. I can't say that Kansai salesmans are the best so far, since I only been in Kyoto and Osaka, but between this two cities I don't really see the difference about shops and salesmans. What I can say is that what I see in Japan is a very hard competition in every spot of every cities in order to sell products and make money. It looks like a war sometime in the streets and in supermarkets. Sometime I get scaried when people in shops shout "Hirashaimasen!!!!" without any reason, just randomly while are cleaning or take care of the shop. I would like to know if this people that seems to want to make more money as possible, do it because they need to spend more money as possible in this heavy consumistic country, or just because is a cultural thing. As Willy says : "I understand that the money goes to their clubs, but I was just overwhelmed with offers for cheap food", so? They really need this money for their clubs? Or just they fell like sell more as possible because is the Japanese way?
In the second part of the entry Willy talks about his friend and how people thought he was a gaijin because he had a Spidermam's costume. He says: "Did they not think it possible for me to have a Japanese friend or for a Japanese person to dress up for Halloween?". I think often Japanese people tend to separate gaijin from Japenese people. So if u are a gaijin it's hard for them to belive you can be integate and have Japanese friends, that's why they think automatically that a friend of yours that they can't see because the mask must be gaijin too. I think they separate gaijin also because Japan has been always a bit far from others western countries, and the idea of integration in the Japan culture can seem too far for them. They use this word "gaijin" in fact, and they use it often, is a way to identify someone from a forein country but it doesn't mean forein person isnt't it? I think there is not even traslation for that word in Italian, Spanish or French...Correct me if I'm wrong!

1 comment:

visual gonthros said...

Gaijin is short for gaikokujin which literally means "outside country person" or foreigner. How is foreigner expressed in the other languages you mention? The shortened gaijin form seems to have some negative connotations. It is amusing when Japanese people use the term gaijin-sama...