Monday 15 October 2007

The great gig in the sky

The 7th of october I went to the TEN-ON music festival: http://www.ten-on.jp/. Is a quite big festival of different kind of music: classical, swing, blues and so on. The event was based at the OAP tower in temmabashi, a building tall 176 meters with 38 floors. The view from there is amazing, is possible to see all Osaka, here are some night shots from a japanese website. I took a picture during the day while i was listening to different gigs around the 38 floors.

Inside the buildin there are also shops and restaurant, but mostly offices. That day there were also some second hand music markets. You can find there old japanese and international vinyls, books, clothes, and very cheap instruments!!! Is possible to buy a good acoustic guitar for 5000 yen (unfortunally I bought a small crappy one 3 days before for 4500!!!!).

The musicians were great! So I can definitely say that japanese people can play music, and they do it very well. I've been told that if a japanese want to do something is going to do only that thing, but really really good! I'm asking myself why there are not so many japanese famous musicians in the west countries. Is easy to say that the language can be a barrier, but I'm talking about music, and the guy on the picture below needs to say nothing but play! While he was playing (at the 38th floor!), the crowd couldn't belive of what was hearing. The pure blues that came out of his guitar didn't have a nationality.




No comments: